This photo was taken about 1948 in a snow covered play ground in Portadown College, Edenderry. Note one of the teachers mingling with the pupils in his robes.

The school actually started life in 1921 as the Carleton Collegiate School in St Mark''s former Parochial Hall in Carleton Street; its founding headmaster was Mr W J Warren M.A., who before war service in 1914-18 had been joint principal of Banbridge Academy.

The new school grew rapidly and larger premises were acquired in October 1924 when Mr Hamilton Robb''s dwelling house on the Edenderry bank of the River Bann was purchased by a group of prominent local citizens and made available to Mr Warren.

The total cost of £4,400, including improvements, was raised by a loan from the Ulster Bank on the personal security of these seven local Trustees. They were

William Moffat Clow, Miller
William Laird Cowdy, Linen Manufacturer
Thomas Cordner, Merchant
George Dougan, Medical Doctor
John Davison, Merchant
Samuel Lutton, Linen Manufacturer
David William Thornton, Merchant.

A courtyard/assembly hall block was added in 1927, and finally the large new classroom/laboratory wing added in 1936.

Space soon ran out again, however, and in 1949 the Preparatory Department of the College moved to a second and larger site on the Killicomaine Road. In 1962 the rest of the school moved up there too, and the old buildings were taken over for a variety of other uses - most recently as "Bann House", area headquarters for the musical activities of the Southern Education and Library Board.

Photo courtesy of Mrs Woodman and research courtesy of Craigavon Historical society.